The Electoral Commission (EC) has denied the allegation that individuals who guarantee for 10 people will be disenfranchised.
The Commission in a press statement signed and issued by the Acting Director of Public Affairs, Mrs Sylvia Annor said persons who guarantee for more than 10 people are the ones who will be prosecuted as it was going to reflect in the system.
“However, any individual who guarantees for more than ten persons will be picked up by our system and prosecuted”, the statement emphasised.
The statement comes after an audio that was circulating on social media suggested that persons who guarantee for up to ten people “will not be verified on election day”.
A man who gave his name as Mckenzie in the audio was heard saying “When you guarantee for ten people, the system will not verify you on election day. Please take note, the system will not verify you on election day so, even within the NPP the information really credible is that they are guaranteeing for only eight people.”
But the EC in reaction has urged the public to disregard the information because it is not rooted in the Constitutional Instrument (C.I). which states that guarantors can guarantee for up to ten people.
“We call on the general public to be circumspect and disregard false information which is not rooted in our Laws and C.I.’s, the Commission urged.
There was a disagreement between the party in power, New Patriotic Party (NPP) and opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) of whether or not the use of the existing voters’ ID Card should be allowed in the new registration.
Attached below is a copy of the EC’s statement
- Read also:
- Election 2020: New Voters Register, New BVM System coming – Electoral Commission
- EC sets April 18 for new voters register compilation
- 6 political parties ready for new voters register, 3 oppose and 1 undecided
- EC meets political parties on compilation of a new voters’ register.
- Coronavirus: How the Electoral Commission plans to curb spread during voter registration
- New mass voters registration begins; Exercise to last 38 days