The National Communication Officer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Sammy Gyamfi has described Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia’s presentation on infrastructure achievements by the Akufo-Addo-led government as “a cocktail of blatant falsehoods, ghost projects, and stolen projects.”
According to him, the “shockingly mediocre accomplishments” Dr Bawumia listed to have been achieved by the Akufo-Addo government “will not even pass for the achievements of a rural Assemblyman, let alone a government that has had access to an unprecedented resource envelope of GH¢370 billion.”
Mr Gyamfi who was addressing the media at the party’s headquarters in Accra on Monday, August 24, 2020, as part of the party’s weekly press briefings said the Vice President peddled a lot of downright untruths during his presentation which the party will expose through evidence-based exposition for all Ghanaians to see.
He said Dr Bawumia’s claim at page 56 of his speech that only 29 Community Day SHS (E-Blocks) had been completed by January 7, 2017 when the erstwhile Mahama government handed over power to the Akufo-Addo government is false.
“Our handing over notes supported by final payment certificates raised by the contractors who executed and completed those projects show that 46 and not 29 E-Blocks had been completed by the Mahama government at the time of exiting office,” he said.
He added, “This incontrovertible fact was corroborated by the NPP’s own Minister of Education, Mathew Opoku Prempeh in an interview on “Ekosisen” on Asempa FM on 6th March, 2017. The claim by the NPP that some of the completed projects had not been furnished, hence were uncompleted is ridiculous as furnishing is not part of the construction process or scope of construction works of the E-Block school projects.”
Mr. Gyamfi also said the claim by Dr. Bawumia on page 14 of his speech that the NDC did not complete any major road project in both the Upper East and Upper West regions is a barefaced lie.
“Contrary to this false assertion, the facts show that within that period, the following major road projects, the Bolgatanga – Bongo road connecting Bolgatanga Municipality to Bongo District was completed; the Winkogo – Tongo road connecting Bolgatanga Municipality to Talensi District was completed; the Nadowli – Babile – Lawra road was initiated and completed by the NDC, and the Gwollu Town roads in Sissala West, were executed and completed in the Upper East and Upper West regions.
“These are but a few of the several road projects which were executed by the Mills/Mahama administration in the two regions referenced by Dr. Bawumia between the period 2009 to 2016. His claim that the NDC failed to complete a single major road project in the two regions between 2009-2016 is therefore false,” he stated.
Mr Gyamfi said many of the projects Dr Bawumia touted as achievements by the Akufo-Addo government were ghost projects and that many of them did not exist.
According to him, many of the few ones that existed were also started by the past Mahama government or were projects undertaken by private persons or organisations such as NGOs or churches and foundations.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, after a painstaking investigation into the claims made by Dr. Bawumia at the Town Hall Meeting and the delivery tracker which was launched at the program, we have identified hundreds ghost (nonexistent) projects and thousands of “stolen” Mahama and private-owned projects,” he stated.
NDC’s List of supposed ghost projects presented by Dr Bawumia
1. Bawumia’s claim at page 41 of his speech that this government is constructing 13 housing units at Sekondi (Ituma Estate) which is about 70% complete is a figment of his own imagination as same does not exist anywhere in the Sekondi metropolis.
2. Bawumia’s claim at page 41 of his speech that this government is constructing 500 housing units at Sefwi Wiawso which is 20% complete is palpable falsehood, as no such project exist.
3. The claim at page 40 of Bawumia’s speech that this government is constructing 120 affordable housing units in the Talensi District of the Upper East region which is 20% complete is yet another lie, as no such project exist.
4. Dromankese town roads in the Bono East region have not been tarred as claimed by government’s “delivery tracker”. This is a big insult to the Chiefs and people of Dromankese in the Nkoranza area of the Bono East Region who are enduring untold hardship due to the poor nature of their roads.
5. The claim on government’s “delivery tracker” that this government has rehabilitated the Anyinabrim Primary School in the Sefwi Wiawso Municipality is yet another lie. No such rehabilitation has been undertaken at the said school.
6. The claim on government’s delivery tracker that the Akufo Addo-government has constructed an Astroturf in the Adenta constituency is another palpable falsehood, as no such project exists on the ground.
7. The claim on government’s delivery tracker of complete electrification of Ananekrom and Pataban townships in the Asante Akyem North Constituency of the Ashanti region is a lie. No such project has been undertaken by this government, as the two towns don’t have electricity as we speak.
8. The claim on government’s delivery tracker of having constructed the Asuoso-Derma-Techimantia road in the Bono East Region as captured by government’s delivery tracker is yet another palpable falsehood, as no such road exists anywhere in the referenced area.
9. The claim on government’s delivery tracker about Re-roofing of cluster of schools at Akanteng in the Eastern region is a lie. No such project has been undertaken by this government.
10. The claim on government’s delivery tracker about an ongoing 1D1F Palm Oil Processing factory in West Akim is a lie. No such project exist.
11. The claim on government’s delivery tracker about an ongoing construction of solar powered water system at Dindani in the East Mamprusi Municipality (Nalerigu/Gambaga) is a lie. No such project can be found in and around Dindani.
12. The claim on the delivery tracker about ongoing construction of a water system at Zangu-Vuga in the East Mamprusi Municipality (Nalerigu/Gambaga) is a lie. As a matter of fact, Zangu-Vuga is in the West Mamprusi Municipality and not East Mamprusi Municipality as claimed. But yet again, there is no such project in Zangu-Vuga in the West Mamprusi Municipality (Walewale) as claimed. Ladies and gentlemen, it is instructive to note that, even in Walewale, the Vice President’s hometown, Dr. Bawumia is conjuring nonexistent projects which is an insult to his own kinsmen and people.
13. The claim on government’s delivery tracker that government has constructed and completed a 1V1D project at Zandua in the West Mamprusi Municipality is false, as no such community exists in the West Mamprusi Municipality.
14. The claim about an ongoing construction of a six (6) seater toilet block for St. Thomas Senior High/Tech at Asamankese in West Akim Municipality is another ghost project, as nothing like that exist on the ground.
15. The claim that there is an ongoing construction of a 12-unit classroom block for Pentecost SHS at Akropong in the Akuapem North Municipality is false, as no such project exist.
16. The claim of having completed a 10-seater toilet facility at Ahibenso in Bodi District is a lie, as no such project exist.
17. Also, the claim that this government has completed the Construction of 1 NO. 6 Units Classroom Block with Auxiliary Facilities at Debiso in the Bia West constituency is a lie, as no such project exist.
18. The claim of having completed the construction of a 16-seater water closet and 4 shower facility in selected communities in Bia West is also a lie, as no such project exist.
19. The claim about ongoing construction of a 2-storey dormitory block for Ghana Senior High School at Damango in the West Gonja Municipality is a fabricated lie, as no such school exists.
20. The claim about construction of a 6-unit classroom block at Jamara in the Asikuma-Odoben-Brakwa Constituency is a lie, as no such project exist.
21. No Power Supply System at Afofosu in the Asikuma-Odoben-Brakwa Constituency exist contrary to claims by government’s delivery tracker.
22. The claim of a 10-seater WC toilet at Anwhiam in the Asikuma-Odoben-Brakwa Constituency does not exist.
23. The claim of a 10-seater WC toilet at Asikuma is a palpable lie.
24. The claim of Abamkrom Clinic in the Agona West Constituency of the Central region as contained on government’s delivery tracker is a ghost project.
25. The claim by the so-called delivery tracker that the Akufo-Addo government has completed the construction of the Anum Primary school at Anum Apapam in the Asuogyaman District in the Eastern region is a lie. There is no town in Asuogyaman called Anum Apapam, and there is no block constructed by the NPP in Anum Presbyterian Primary School at the Anum that we know in Asuogyaman.
26. The Claim of construction works at Dabala market is a lie. There is no such construction work ongoing in the Dabala market as claimed by the NPP on their website.